is looking for some new summer staff to help keep this place flowing. As of right now, I -the founder- am noticing that I've been the only one doing stuff lately. That's fine as staff people tend to cycle through
but I really do not have time to babysit this place on top of my every day life through the summer months!
To apply, please read and review everything below. If I didn't cover something and you have a question, ask it in a comment. Now because I said that, before ASKING a question, read through the comments first. To be helpful please don't place a comment unless it's a question. (Of course the first person to ask a question will have no comments to read but you get what I mean)To be an administrator you must be able to do the following on a regular basis:
- Review submissions
-- If the submission is something that you can visually tell follows our rules, hit "accept"
-- If the submission is QUESTIONABLE please do not hit decline immediately!
----You will need to read through that submission's description. If you find the answer you need in there, make your judgement on accept/decline.
---- If you do not find the answer you are looking for, please contact the member via PRIVATE NOTE. Never shout out on their submission or home page. I WILL PROVIDE YOU WITH A TEMPLATE THAT YOU WILL COPY/PASTE IN YOUR NOTE! That is our generic message sent to the entire world whenever there's a questionable item that pops up. Do not alter it, just paste it and hit send. You may respond normally after the user responds to that generic message!
- Be able to explain to people (even people who can't really read/understand english) why something is the way it is (like if their submission was declined or if you needed to move their submission)
- Move submissions to the appropriate folders. Nothing goes in featured unless it's writings/journals/stuff like that. If it's hand drawn artwork, it belongs in artwork. If it's a photo manipulation, it belongs in artwork (by that I don't mean the cutting out of a dog and slapping it onto a background or a photo with lots of text on it- those are still classified as PHOTOGRAPHY). If you don't know what a photo manipulation is, see here: [link]
- You may suggest monthly avatars, but please be sure to check the avatar folder to see if that artist has previously been featured. Generally, there isn't any artwork that is themed for every month so 90% of all avatars wind up being user-submitted photography. We are not BIASED towards using photographs for avatars, it's just whatever happens to fit the monthly theme. Some months there may be more than one avatar- again, no single artist is featured TWICE until every group member who has submitted anything has had a turn. Everyone has the opportunity to be featured once before another user gets featured twice.
^^^^IF A USER CHANGES THEIR NAME AND YOU KNOW ABOUT IT, DON'T FEATURE THE SAME USER TWICE EVEN WITH DIFFERENT USERNAMES. Chances are, though, that we aren't going to honestly know if a person changed accounts unless they take down everything from the old account So for this, I'd like to ask our members if you could please keep us up to date if you change your username so that we do not make the mistake of featuring you twice before featuring a new person once!
- If I approve of the new avatar (every month is something different like I said- think of holidays/weather) then you are welcome to upload it. Once you have uploaded the avatar, please take that submission and move it to FEATURED AS AVATARS and alert the person we are featuring via a lovely comment on their piece. Please say the following (you may add your own jazzy comments before/after) "Your submission has been featured as this month's avatar for :icon Deviantart-Pitbulls: , congrats!" ***TO MAKE THE CODE WORK, REMOVE THE SPACE*** - Do not use the dev name code, please use the avatar code.
-- Some submissions may need to be manually cropped/shrunk down in photoshop/gimp before uploading. Some may require that you put a little background to it because it's not wide enough. If you are unable to get the image to properly fit in the avatar slot, contact me and I will make it fit and upload it for you.
The avatar swapping is optional. If that is too complicated, confusing, or time consuming for you, let me know that you are not opting in to rotate avatars and I will do it once every month or as needed.
- You will also need to be able to be a sort of customer service. Now, if you have a major problem like two people are at war with each other, please do not try to handle the situation and just forward it to me. I will investigate what is going on and I will get it resolved. It's nothing against you guys personally, it's just that when you try to handle something that big, things tend to go wrong and confusion is created, which makes one big mess and then in the end I wind up having to take care of it so I'd just rather you forward the issue to me.
Minor things such as a user is having a problem with our system (like when DA so kindly glitched and nobody was able to affiliate!) I'd prefer for you to address/resolve. For glitches, if you can't find a resolution, report it to DA staff. Do not dwell on it, just report it to them and they will fix it. How soon they will fix it, well, there's no telling, but that's the website and so it is their problem to fix!
-If people comment, greet them. If they say thank you, tell them that they are welcome and that anything else they'd like to contribute would also be appreciated in this group. Make them feel wanted, you know? Like I have with you guys (well most of you- some of you I have deliberately targeted and kicked out because of valid reasons- so obviously those people will claim that they feel unwelcome... truth be told, they are unwelcome and not just by me!)
- IF SOMEONE GIVES YOU A PISSY DRAMA SPAT OF ANY KIND, send it to me. If it's something that needs to be addressed, I'll take care of it. 9 out of 10 times, someone throwing a hissy fit is not something I need to get involved in unless they drag it out to the point where I HAVE to get involved. I do not want you guys to bicker back and forth with them.
Example given: A person sends us a note and is bitching about why their submission was declined (after they were told why). You tell them once more why it was declined and if they don't like that answer, just tell them that you are sorry and that you have forwarded the conversation to the founder of the group. I will review it and like I said, if I need to comment, I will, otherwise if I don't I will reply to the person telling them that their submission was declined for X reason and also let them know that's the end of the discussion. If they proceed to bitch and whine and cry, I will tell them that I'm sorry but they will have to be banned/blocked from the group and so forth and so on.
(Now if you make a real big stink, that's when I screencap it and share it with the group- I don't just share them for the lulz either, I share them so that when I have active admins, they can refer back to those things and see if it's a situation that they can take care of or if it's one they need to pass on to me.)
If you are ever unsure of whether or not you should reply to someone, just forward the entire note to me and I will reply back to you before replying to the other person. If I feel that is something that you can take care of, I will send you the reassurance you seek. If it's not, then I will tell you that I found it to be something out of your jurisdiction.
- I would really like it if you could log on at least once a week. Day of the week doesn't matter. If you can be on extra amounts of time, woohoo! If not, that's OK too. For activity, I am requiring that you be active on here at LEAST once every two weeks, no longer!
- Keep in mind that there may/should/will be others on staff along with you. If you are responding to a person, PLEASE send a note (personal note) to every other admin that you are taking care of X situation so that we don't have 5 different people sending notes to one user. (Like if it's a submission issue, tell the other admins that oh hey I'm taking care of so and so's submission and link them to the submission). You don't have to tell me, I'm going to sit back and just watch. If I see that submission has been sitting there for over two weeks, then I will say something.
Think you have the time and would like to contribute? Great to have you on board, just send the group a note or send me one privately requesting to be a staff member and we will discuss it from there
You can stay on part time, like through the summer and then tell me in the fall you're leaving for school, or you can stay on full time. Either one is greatly appreciated.
P.S. I'd also like to see you guys "suggest" submissions to the group. Like if you're fishing through your devWatch messages and see a pit bull picture that doesn't violate our rules, go ahead and suggest it to the appropriate folder. You never know, you may just open up someone's eyes to a whole 'nother group for them to get exposure in! (You don't have to surf DA itself, it's just an "if you see something" sort of thing... now if you WANT to surf DA for pictures, be my guest- it's just not a requirement!)